Grant Program Guidelines
MAFA awards Guild Grants annually. MAFA Member Guilds, Associate Member organizations, and unaffiliated fiber arts non-profits are eligible to apply. 501(c)3 status is not required. Priority will be given to applicants that have not received a MAFA Grant in the past 5 years. MAFA invites collaboration among fiber arts guilds, but a single organization receives each grant award.
Successful applicants will propose a project that advances one or more of MAFA’s objectives:
- to promote education in the fiber arts;
- to plan, organize and conduct conferences; and
- to facilitate communication among member guilds.
In addition, each project must incorporate a clear public impact or benefit, for example, to raise public awareness of MAFA’s (or the Guild’s) activities and resources. The Guild Grant program is not intended to fund an individual’s work, research or study, or to benefit a Guild’s membership exclusively. At a minimum, registration for MAFA-funded events shall be open to non-members and their participation may not be unreasonably restricted.
Grant funds are distributed 50% at time of award and 50% upon approval of the final report.
- Projects must be completed within the time specified. Grant projects should not last more than 12 months.
- Grant funds may only be used as defined in the project plan and proposed budget. Any unspent funds will be returned to MAFA.
- Grant funds may not be used for attendee meals.
- Receipts are not required, but must be made available on request for a period of 5 years.
- Credit must be given to The MidAtlantic Fiber Association in any publicity or public relations (PR) material about the project.
- The Project Director must submit a final report within 60 days of project completion.
Applications for a grant to be awarded in 2018 must be received by January 31, 2018.
To apply, submit the online MAFA Grant Application, including a proposed project budget and up to three supporting documents or photographs. A preview copy of the application is available. You may save your work online and return to it later. All submissions will be acknowledged.
The Grants Committee reviews project proposals, and recommends one or more awards. The Committee may recommend less than the requested amount. All grant awards are subject to approval by the MAFA Board.
Members of the Grants Committee do not participate in review or approval of applications and reports of any guild to which they belong.
A final report is due within 60 days of project completion, but no later than April 30 of the following year. Final reports are available for public inspection and will be posted on the MAFA website. They should not contain personal addresses, phone numbers or other private information.
This report should include:
- A description of the project
- An analysis of project goals versus actual outcomes.
- A summary of lessons learned and advice for future grantees
- Actual vs. proposed Project Budget, and an explanation of any differences
Along with the report, the Grantee must submit photograph(s) or video for use on the MAFA website, publications, and/or social media, along with permission to publish. The balance of grant funds will not be paid until photos and appropriate releases are received.
For photography guidelines and release forms, see the Grants and Scholarships page.
The Grants Committee reviews final reports for completeness and recommends approval to the MAFA Board. The final check (i.e. the remaining 50%) is released upon the Board’s approval of the final report.
2018 Grants Timetable
|Application available on MAFA website||November 2017|
|Application deadline for 2018
Note: Applications received after this date will not be considered
|January 31, 2018|
|Grants Committee evaluates project proposals and recommends grant awards to the MAFA Board||February -March, 2018|
|Board approves grant awards. Grant projects may begin||by March 15, 2018|
|Grantees sign and return an award letter. MAFA Treasurer sends first check (50% of total grant)||by March 30, 2018|
|2018 MAFA grant projects must be completed||April 1, 2019|
|Final reports due to Grants Committee 60 days after project completion||No later than April 30, 2019|
|Upon receipt, Grants Committee evaluates final report and recommends approval to MAFA Board||May 2019|
|Board votes to approve or reject the final report||Within 15 days|
|MAFA Treasurer sends final check (remaining 50% of grant)||15 days after approval of Final Report|
Send questions to : firstname.lastname@example.org.